Pages

Friday, November 30, 2012

Artist Spotlight: Robert Peluce

Has anyone ever asked you what was the BEST birthday present you ever received? I always know my answer. It is my "Horseless Rider" painting by surrealist Robert Peluce. My husband gave it to me just after we moved into our first house in 2003. It was my favorite of Peluce's works, but I never thought it would be mine considering it was about the cost of 1/2 a small car. Plus, the one my husband really wanted was the "Magic Apple," which was as much as an entire small car.


I took these photos, but they don't do the painting justice. Currently, it's hanging in my dining room. In every house we've ever lived in, it always hangs in a spot of prominence. People either love it or hate it!




This is Peluce's "Magic Apple," which my husband really, really wanted. In hindsight, we should have just bought it right then and there. I did try to buy it a few years ago for my husband's 40th birthday from its current owner, Fred Durst (Limp Bizkit), but he said he'd never sell it. You can see why.






Peluce's series of "Mask" paintings are amazing. I can't remember how many he did, but it had to be at least a dozen. These were my favorites.

We had the pleasure of meeting Peluce and his wife Gyorgyi before his death. They were living/working at the Los Angeles Brewery artist colony. She used to be a colorist for "The Simpsons." The two of them collaborated on a series of GYRO paintings (GYorgyi + RObert) for kids. We bought 4 of them for our (future) children. I will have to upload a photo of those paintings soon!

For more information on Robert Peluce, check out the Glass Garage Gallery in West Hollywood, CA. They represent several other artists who paint in the same genre, including Steven Kenny & Margo Selski. Stunning works!

No comments:

Post a Comment